Author Interview: Amylea Lyn

When you are writing what is your favorite part of the book to write?
When writing, my favorite part of the book to write has to be the ending. As cliché as it sounds, there’s nothing more satisfying then typing “the end” at the end of a book and knowing that all the months of hard work and sacrificing family time has been worth it.

Although, I’d be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy writing the sex scenes as well. LOL. Sexy and sensual descriptions are a blast to write, and making the reader feel everything my character is feeling at the same time is a lot of fun. *winks*

What is the hardest part to write?
I think the hardest part of the book for me to write is everything in the middle. It’s one of the reasons I never pressure myself to get more than a chapter a day written. I have no problem starting a book, and no problem pulling all the loose strings together at the end to finish it, but filling in the middle… yeah, that’s a toughie.


Also, I hate writing about any form of child abuse or neglect. I have a scene in book 2 of my Outside the City series, called The Beast’s Promise, and in it there is a scene where a boy is beaten by an evil orphanage director and all of the kids there had been neglected. It was so hard to write that afterwards I was super depressed and couldn’t bring myself to write again for over a week. It’s a really touchy subject for me, and in order to get back into the groove of writing again I usually have to either switch over to another WIP or try and write a happy scene in the next chapter.

If you could have dinner with one person, dead or alive who would it be and why? 
I think I’d love to sit down and have dinner with Emily Dickinson. All throughout middle school and high school I loved her poetry and she really made me look at myself and say hey, if she could do it, I can too. To this day I love her work and would be forever grateful to be given the chance to sit down and speak with her about her poetry and life.

What is your writing routine?
What routine? LOL.

I typically carve out time on my days off from the dreaded “day job” and sit down to write a chapter. Usually, I grab a cup of tea, maybe a snack and get down to business. I tend to write in the early afternoon (when I can hide from the sun and heat outside by being inside my house without looking like a complete hermit) and spend a couple hours writing a chapter. I try to write a chapter a day on my days off, but sadly, sometimes real life gets in the way.
If I can get one chapter done a week, I’m happy.

Do you plot and outline, or write as you go?
I try to have a general plot and outline for my books, but that doesn’t mean my Muse and characters will agree to follow it when I sit down and start writing. I know how my story will begin, and then how it will end… what happens in the middle can sometimes be a surprise, even to me. J

Are the names you use in your novels important to you? Where do you find the names you use?
Every name used in my books means something to me, because they belong to the characters that mean so much to me. But, that being said, I have been known to switch and alter names as it suits the book and characters I’m writing.

As for where I find them, I love the baby name sites online. LOL. I can search for a name by country of origin, or meaning, and that really help when I have a specific character in mind and have no Idea what to call them.

What are the most important attributes to remaining sane as a writer?
LOL. Good question! I think, as writers, we are all already partially insane as it is. How else would we come up with some of the stuff we do? J

Scheduling is important. You’ve got to have time to get your work done without having to worry what time the kids need picked up and when you have to start preparing dinner. Knowing where your next chapter is headed before you sit down to write, or just in general where your story is headed, is an important factor in remaining sane.

But I think taking time to focus of things other than your writing are important as well. I know that if I let myself, I could stay holed up in my house, clacking away on my laptop, completely consumed with my WIPs and never seeing the true light of day. So to balance that, I make time to do other things I enjoy, like gardening, going to the park, canning and preserving, and even just going for a drive. These things help me remember that there’s more to life than just my books and they are just as important.

How do you feel being interviewed?
I love it! I have such a blast answering questions and talking about my books and writings. It’s fun and allows my readers the chance to get to know me a little bit better! J

Where can readers find out more about you and your books?
Well, I can always be found at my website www.amylealyn.webs.com or on my blog www.amylealynromance.blogspot.com. I can also be found on Facebook.

As for my books… well, here’s the list!

Available at Silver Publishing:
Nature of the Beast (Outside the City #1)

The Beast’s Promise (Outside the City #2)

Love’s Crash Landing

Available at Torquere Press:
Dream a Little Dream

Let’s Get Familiar

Available at Dreamspinner Press

No comments